Green Grotto Caves Excursion from Kingston
- Duration: 7 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Kingston, Jamaica
- Product code: P4VA4C
A journey into underworld charm.. a speologist’s dream, a green cavern of mystery and adventure, a slice of Jamaica's history... part of your vacation with a difference.. such are the accolades that can be ascribed to the Green Grotto Caves.
- Hotel pick up & drop off
- Scenic drive into the Jamaican countryside
- Spend the time exploring and learning about the history of the famous Rum Caves
- Authentic Jamaican Jerk lunch stop (Meals and Drinks not included)
The Green Grotto known at various times as the Runaway Bay Caves, Cave Hall Caves, Discovery Bay Caves, Dry Harbour Caves, Hopewell Caves, Rum Caves and Dairy Caves, are among Jamaica's most prominent natural attractions. They are of international repute and have been seeing visitors since the 18th century.
Situated on 25.9 hectares of the island's beautiful North Coast, the Caves are located between the resort centers of Ocho Rios and Montego Bay and are precisely 3.2 km from Discovery Bay to the west and 4 km from Runaway Bay to the east.
The central feature of this natural attraction is the large labyrinthine limestone cave with its numerous rock formations, stalactites, stalagmites, and abundance of overhead ceiling pockets.
Your guide will explain the rich history of the caves, telling the story of the people who have used the caves for various purposes over the years. The discovery of cave paintings, tools and fragments of pottery indicate that the original inhabitants of the caves were the Taino Indians who would have used the caves for shelter.
The next know inhabitants were the Spanish who, at the time of the British invasion of Jamaica (in 1655), hid in the caves to avoid capture. There is an underground tunnel which links the caves to the sand at Runaway Bay. It is believed that the Spanish used the tunnel in their attempt to escape the Island and flee to Cuba. Runaway slaves have also used the caves to hide from their former masters. During World War 2, Rum barrels were stored here for safekeeping by the Jamaican Government.
Come and immerse yourself in the rich history and mystery that is known as the Green Grotto.
What is included
- Hotel Pick-up and Drop-off
- Admission Fee (Green Grotto Caves)
- Protective Headgear
- English Speaking Cave Guide
- Well-appointed Private Air-conditioned Vehicles
- Food and Drinks
- Gratuity (Optional)
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Not suitable for pregnant women or persons with back problems
- Dress code is smart casual, wear comfortable walking shoes
- Not Wheelchair accessible
- No Video recording is allowed but Photographs are allowed
- Pets are not allowed on the tour